My sister (who is a chef) has been staying with me in Perth for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Last week she found bulk cherries for $2 at my local family owned supermarket. So the race was on to figure out what to do with so many cherries-I mean we had about 2kg of cherries! So after freezing half of them the other half got made into the most incredible cake I have ever tasted. Issue was, the cake she made was full of gluten, which usually upsets my belly.So instead, I asked her if we could make the cake again, but this time gluten free! This gorgeous cake is the result. Full of antioxidant rich cherries, and made with gluten free flour, this tasty cake is moist, packed with flavor and is my favorite cake of all time. Its such a great cake on its own, that it doesn’t even need the help of any icing.
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. Greek yogurt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup coconut and almond milk (or just almond milk)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp honey
2 cups fresh cherries, de-pitted and halved
- Heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line a circular cake tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sieve all dry ingredients. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl add the wet ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well, until just combined.
- In the cake tin place half the cherries in a layer on the bottom of the pan. Pour in the cake mixture, and place the remainder of the cherries in a layer on top of the mixture.
- Bake for about an hour and a half, of until a skewer comes out of the cake clean.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt and fresh berries.
Serves 10-12. Gluten free. Nut free.