There is something deliciously rewarding about making your own tasty granola. I usually make a batch over the weekend to enjoy with my weekday smoothies, or with Greek yogurt and figs. I even have it on its own as a healthy snack during the day. Plus you can add your own preferences to make it even better! The thing to remember with granola is a low heat, and slow cooking process, you don’t want to burn or overcook it, the nuts just need to be toasted. This granola is full of energy boosting nuts, slow release oats, and packed with protein from the seeds. And of course, just a hint of sweetness from the honey, vanilla and spice. Not that you need to be any more sweet lovely!
1 cup Rolled oats1/2 cup Ground almonds1 cup Mixed nuts (I like Brazil, Hazelnuts and walnuts)1/2 cup Mixed seeds (Pepitas, Chia, Sunflower, Sesame)1 cup Dried fruit (Cranberries, Apricots)1/2 cup Desiccated coconut1/4 cup Coconut flakes1 Tsp. Cinnamon1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg1/2 cup Coconut oil3 Tbsp. Honey1 Tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats and ground almonds.
- In a food processor, process the mixed nuts, until there is a variety of sizes (I like to keep it pretty chunky)
- Add the processed nuts and seeds to the bowl.
- Chop the dried fruit and add to the bowl.
- Add coconut, and spices, mix thoroughly.
- In a small jug mix together the coconut oil, honey and vanilla, then pour over the dry mix, and combine.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper, and spread granola mix over.
- Bake at 160 degrees for 30-40 minutes, check every 15 minutes to prevent overcooking.
Serve with Greek yogurt, and figs.