Having plenty of small, low GI snacks foods is a great way to stabilize your blood sugar levels throughout the day. A healthy snack consists of some low GI carbohydrates, good quality protein and a little bit of the healthy fats.
To prepare a healthy low glycemic snack, start by choosing your carbohydrates. Raw or lightly steamed veggies; fruits, such as apple, pear, peach, or banana, and fresh or frozen berries make the perfect base. Quinoa, brown rice or flax seed crackers are also a good choice, if you are ok with gluten, wholegrain crackers can be ok too.
For a healthy protein choose unsalted nuts, for example, almonds, pecans, cashews, or walnuts. Nut butters are also great. Don’t forget about seeds – my favorite are unsalted, non-roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Nuts, seeds, and their butters are perfect because they also contain some healthy fats. Some other great protein sources include soft cheeses such as plain cottage cheese, feta cheese, and goat cheese, as well as Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, hummus, black bean spread, roasted chickpeas and much more.
20 Healthy Low Glycemic Snack Ideas:
- 1 piece of fruit with a handful of nuts;
- 1 cup Edamame (soybeans from pod)
- ½ cup cottage cheese with ½ cup fruit (optional – 1 tsp of vanilla extract);
- 1/3 cup dried apricots with a handful of almonds;
- 1 sliced apple with 2 tablespoons peanut butter;
- 1 cup raw veggies with 3 tablespoons hummus;
- 1 hard boiled egg and 1 cup raw veggies;
- ½ cup cottage cheese with herbs or salsa and 1 cup raw veggies;
- 1 cup fresh fruit salad with ¼ cup sunflower seeds;
- ½ cup grapes with 1 sliced peach and ½ cup Greek style no sugar added yogurt;
- 1 sliced pear with 2 tablespoons soft goat cheese;
- 1 hard-boiled egg with 1 tomato or 1/3 English cucumber and some sea salt;
- 1 cup berries with ½ cup cottage cheese or Greek yogurt;
- 1 hard-boiled egg with 1 cup lightly steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower;
- 1 cup grapes with 2 tablespoons soft goat cheese;
- 1 Iceberg lettuce wedge (about 1/3 of the lettuce) with ½ cup cherry tomatoes and 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese;
- 1 cup sliced veggies with ¼ cup black bean dip;
- 1 sliced apple sprinkled with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ cup plain yogurt;
- 1 cup berries with ¼ cup sunflower seeds;
- 1 cup sliced fruits with 3 tablespoons nut butter;