It’s been awhile since I posted a recipe on Nutrilly Nutrition, and this salad I came up with for lunch today was a winner. I was super hungry after a mammoth gym session, and I knew some wholefood carbohydrates was the best way to go. I also wanted something fresh, filling and nutritious. I added some rice noodles too, but you could omit them and it would still be a great salad!
2 medium sweet potato
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
2 large handfuls mixed lettuce leaves
10 cm piece of cucumber
1 handful cherry tomatoes
small bunch parsley
1 Tbsp pine nuts
3-4 slices ham
50g rice (vermicelli) noodles
- Heat oven to 180 degrees, on a large baking tray place a piece of baking paper. Chop sweet potato into small chunks, and cover with 1/2 the olive oil. Sprinkle 1/2 the paprika and all the cumin over the sweet potato. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, turning once. Once cooked, take out of the oven and leave to one side to cool.
- In a large bowl combine mixed lettuce leaves, sliced cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes and chopped parsley. Mix to combine and leave to the side.
- In a small fry pan heat a tiny amount of the olive oil, when hot, add pine nuts and toss until golden. Leave to one side to cool.
- In the same fry pan add chopped ham and heat until golden and crispy. Add remainder of paprika and toss to cover. Leave to one side to cool.
- In a small saucepan heat water to boiling. Add rice noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes or until noodles are soft. Remove from heat and place in a colander. Rinse with lukewarm water, and leave to one side.
- In the bowl with the lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes, add the toasted pine nuts, crispy ham, rice noodles and roasted paprika spiced sweet potato. Toss all to combine and serve.
Serves 2-3. Prep time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 50 minutes