Iv’e been talking to lots of people recently around the topic of healthy snacks. It seems many people are confused about what kind of snacks they should have or if they should eat snacks at all. This recipe is a great way to fill up and get a tonne of nutrients all at the same time! Filled with vitamin A rich sweet potato, nutrient dense chickpeas as well as cumin and lemon for flavour, this hummus will be a hit with your family. I came up with this recipe yesterday for a picnic with friends, and they were in love! Its super easy to make, and you don’t need to feel guilty about having it as a snack.
2 medium sweet potato
1 tsp olive oil
1 can chickpeas, drained
2 tsp crushed garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup water (If hummus is too dry)
- Heat oven to 180 degree’s Celcius. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Chop sweet potato into 2 cm cubes, toss with 1 tsp olive oil, and make sure sweet potato is fully covered. Bake fr 30-40 minutes in the oven or until golden. Turn once. When done, leave to cool for 15 minutes before continuing.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix until well combined. If the ingredients aren’t combining well, add half the water and mix again. Repeat if necessary.
- Keep in fridge covered for up to 10 days.
- Serve with chopped vegetables, crackers, sourdough bread, on my healthy burgers, as a novel pizza topping, in a middle eastern wrap, with falafels, or simply eat with a spoon!
Serves 6-8. Prep time: 5-10 minutes. Cook time: 1 hour. Gluten free. Dairy free. Nut free. Vegetarian. Vegan.